Sunday, July 18, 2010

It's a...GIRL?!

Dave here. As many of you have already heard, Kathryn and I found out this last week that she is going to be giving birth to a real live human girl on December 4 (ish), 2010. All I have to say about this is, huh? It took quite a while for the sonographer to identify the gender, because besides being a thumb sucker, our little kiddo is also a leg-crosser. While looking at the ultrasound pictures that were coming up, two thoughts went through my head: "Wow, this is really quite voyeuristic," and "That totally looks like a dude's head." Here's a shot from our ultrasound:

As you can see, it's all good. (Actual ultrasound shots will come later--we forgot to scan them when we were at my parents' house.)
I have five younger brothers, so I am used to growing up around young, immature boys. I can handle little boys, and I know how they behave (and misbehave). Therefore, the news that we were having a girl came somewhat as a shock to me (and to Kathryn, who was practially telling everyone that we were going to have a boy). My reaction echos that of my father's, who, when he heard the news, said, "What?! What went wrong?" I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it. I mean, all that...pink! The dolls, the dress-up, princesses, ponies...I know nothing about this stuff! I'm hoping I can convince her to get into GI Joes so that I can play too, but I don't know if I can handle tea parties (or, in our case, juice parties). This is going to introduce me to a whole new world in which I am a complete alien (I come in peace...usually). As if being a first time father wasn't enough! And now with my brother Josh getting married next month, the estrogen levels in the Ricks family are on the rise, and I'm starting to get defensive (we will still outnumber them 7-4 though, but we're losing ground).
This is not to say that I'm not excited about having a daughter. I am. I'm also really excited that this totally gets me out of the "birds and the bees" talk (it's never too early to be aprehensive about that piece of awkwardness). But this does mean that training bras and slumber parties of giggling girls are on the horizon (although I, fortunately, will have nothing to do with the training bras either).
You may be thinking to yourself, "Dave, you're the most macho of all macho men that I know. How does this feminocity bode for your manliness?" Good question, thoughtful reader. Let me tell you: it will only increase it, because I will have to become an even greater protector than I naturally am. Everyone knows that all girls are wimpy and fragile and cry incessantly. They need a pillar of strength that they can rely on, with rippling muscles and possibly a battle axe (mine is coming through FedEx). I can be, and am, that man. Don't worry about me, I'll be fine.
If you're wondering how Kathryn feels, the answer can be summed up in one word: really excited. She has already bought the baby's first pair of clothes, but we are waiting (at my request) to buy the bigger stuff. We're both just excited that the baby (whose name shall be Jocelyn Focha Ricks) appears to be healthy so far.
Thanks to everyone for your support. We (Kathryn) will keep you updated.

8 comments:

  1. This is probably the greatest blog post I have ever read! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOORAY! (again) She'll be adorable, just like you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave, you are funny. Maybe she'll turn out to be a tom-boy and then you won't have to worry about princesses, pink, or ponies. Congrats you two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I love that you wrote this post, David! I was just as shocked as everyone when she announced it's a girl. That just seems so unlike a Ricks! :-) But congratulations! I'm sure you will pick up on the girliness eventually. I can just imagine how excited your mom is! Finally a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Davey Boy, you crack me up. Question, how sure was the technician? I only say that because I have had more then one friend having a girl, that came out a boy. If it is definite, however, you will be great. Just watch out. That girl will have you wrapped around her finger in NO time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt a little bad for your parents having only one Man Child, but now that I know you're up against so many boys Kathryn, I've very happy that you're having a girl! Sounds like David could use a little more feminity in his life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurray! I totally see you being a great father to a little girl, Dave, no worries there. And it's going to be totally funny to see the whole Ricks gang go ga-ga over a little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Dave and Kathryn! Dave - I must say, you already know much more than Nathan about girls (dress-up, ponies, training bras?) and Mikayla's already a Daddy's girl! You will make great parents - lucky little girl!

    ReplyDelete