Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Caring Cabbies

The end of July and beginning of August were quite busy for Dave and I. Dave had work trips three weeks in a row, and I got to go to Girls Camp.  I can't tell you how excited I was when I got invited to be a counselor for the 3rd Years.  I loved Girls Camp as a youth and I loved being an advisor in our past ward for the Beehives.  The youth are truly amazing.

For camp we were up in the woods for a whole week.  Here's an interesting story.  As you may have heard, California is in a major drought.  About two weeks before we were heading to camp, we had a meeting where we found out that the last camp had run out of water.  The well was completely dried up.  We were told the options of what we could do and thankfully we were still able to go to camp for the full week by having truck loads of water brought up to the camp.  There were however, some tight restrictions.  The real flushable toilets and showers had limited use (there were pit toilets).  One of our priesthood brethren was in charge of the water usage and would keep tabs on how we were doing and would tell us if we could use more or needed to limit the water usage. Well a miracle happened.  When we got up to camp and the well was checked, it was completely full.  And even better yet, we were so good at conserving water, we didn't need any of the water trucks that had been ordered, to come up to refill it.  The flushable toilets were opened full time.  We still had to do military showers but no biggie.  And by the end of camp, we were told that most Girls Camps use about (I don't remember exact numbers but I believe these are close) 20,000 gallons and that we had used only 8,000.  And this wasn't just 20 girls, we're talking about 200. Yes, it was miraculous.

Anyway, onto the fun. The leaders went up Monday to set up and get ready.  Then Tuesday, all the girls came up.  The theme was "Joy in the Journey" and each year was a form of transportation.  We were the Caring Cabbies (taxi cabs). We had a great group of girls.  They were so good and didn't even keep us up late.

 photo DSC04929 640x480_zpsolxzwd0o.jpg
 photo DSC04925 480x640_zps21nu4vm1.jpg
 
Anyway, I've never eaten so well but I will say I could have used a nap after every meal.  With the good fixins and heat, I was tuckered out.

Most every day was planned out to the minute with certification, Personal Progress, crafts, team building, and fun with leaders.  There were three of us counselors for the 3rd Years and I already knew the other two before camp and we got along great.  We really didn't have much to do other than keep track of the girls.  We usually went to their activities with them though so we stayed busy.  We were also in charge of spiritual thoughts at night.

 photo DSC04979 640x480_zpsomkyxdvv.jpg
 photo 11796367_961847760544808_6047609117685527443_n 480x640_zpsirc5evzj.jpg
Camp hair, don't care.  I was actually showing some of the other leaders what my hair looks like when it dries naturally and without any product in it.  Gorgeous right?

Some of the other highlights were the new songs to learn.  I especially loved singing to the cookies (cooks) after every meal, thanking them for their hard work.  Seriously, they were the first up and last to bed.  They worked incredibly hard.  There were also hikes, skits, and the special program night.  It was an incredibly spiritual night.  Leaders spoke of their journeys and struggles through life but that we are never alone and we ended by sitting at the edge of a mountain looking down into a valley and looking at the stars. It was so peaceful. I felt the spirit and I know the girls' testimonies were built and strengthened as well.

 photo DSC04945 640x480_zpstzvsjbim.jpg 
Skit practice.

Hike time.
 photo DSC04962 640x480_zpsrxbuxskc.jpg
 photo DSC04974 640x480_zpsk6jyp0kx.jpg 

Be a caring cabbie!
 photo DSC04988 640x480_zpsqozhiash.jpg
 photo DSC04990 640x480_zpsvvqjqxc6.jpg

On Saturday, we packed and cleaned up camp and headed home.  I was so excited to see the girls.  That's the longest I've ever been apart from them.  We had no contact at all.  I purposefully left my phone in my van so I could really enjoy Girls Camp plus I didn't think we would have reception anyway, but most leaders had phones that were working.  Anyway, my mother-in-law watched the girls for the week so I wasn't ever worried but I was still happy to see them.  And look at what they made me.  Love them!

 photo 20150801_145448 360x640_zps7scgmer0.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment