Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

So today I felt a little sheepish. My boss gets back from lunch and comes into my office. She is talking to me and I notice a big black dot on her forehead. I don't interupt her while she is talking so I patiently wait to let her know about the embarassing mark. While she is talking I'm thinking, how in the world do you get a mark like that on your forehead. So when she is done, I kindly let my boss know that she has a black mark on her head. She chuckles a little and tells me it is for Ash Wednesday. Now I feel a little silly. So I asked a few questions and my boss tells me that Ash Wednesday is the beginning of Lent. I think I'd heard it before but didn't remember especially since I don't celebrate it. When I got home I did some google research to find out why they put marks on their head and other interesting things. I can be so ignorant sometimes. It was pretty funny though. Living outside of Utah sure opens up my eyes sometimes.

This is the symbol that goes on people's foreheads but the one on my boss looked more like a big dot.

3 comments:

  1. Kathy! This happened to me too, at Archiver's. A girl came in to make an album for her boyfriend and I tried to be discreet - she was also very kind about it, but I felt silly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there, done that! Oh the joys of learning about other faiths. IT's nice to know that we mormons aren't the only ones with some interesting practices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say I enjoyed the story. I was the odd one out at Catholic school walking around without ashes on my forehead. (And it usually looks like a dot or smudge.) You should go to mass sometime. Its neat, totally different from what we're used to.

    ReplyDelete